[cvsnt] Re: release option of import command

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Thu Sep 2 08:46:04 BST 2004

Bo Berglund wrote:

> > While reading the documentation, I found that the version no. of
> > file given by cvs can be 1.4, 2.5, 1.45 , 5.1 etc. Hence when you
> > add a new  file its version no. will be 5.1
>
> No, it will always be 1.1 when you add a new file.

Not entirely accurate. The first figure will always be the highest
first digit found on any revision in the same directory. The second
figure will indeed always be 1, thus if there is a revision 2.8 already
in the same directory, a new file added to that directory will get 2.1,
not 1.1.

> > Also when we make a branch, its version no starts for 1.------ .
>
> Actually the branch revisions are based on the revision it starts
> from. So if you have a file at 1.13 and you branch it, then the next
> commit will be 1.13.1.1
> If you then make another branch from the same base revision this
> branch will be 1.13.2.x and so the first commit gets 1.13.2.1

Again, not entirely accurate. Apart from branches created by the import
command, branches will always have even numbers, the first revision of
the first branch created on a file will always look like 1.x.2.1, the
next branch will start at 1.x.4.1 and so on.

> > Hence  can you help me to know when the version no of file changes
> > form 1.-- to 2.-- or 3.-- and so on.
>
> Only by direct cvs command on the single file can you bump the major
> revision number.
>
> Note that the revsion numbers are really not useful for anything
> major, for example you cannot check out or export a project using the
> revision number as a parameter. You must use a symbolic tag or a date
> for that.

Again, you /could/ checkout or export by revision number. It's just not
terribly useful as some revisions typically change less often than
others.

Cheers,

--
Oliver "The Nitpicker" ;)