[cvsnt] Tags and Branches

abhishek jaiswal abhi658606 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 3 09:46:38 BST 2004

Hi cvsusers and cvs administrators

I have just started using cvs

In the documentation it has been stated that one should give tag
before making a branch since there may be need to check out files ar
that status.

Now my question that which of the following should be practiced and
why?

1) Before creating a branch one should give a tag to the file and
then create a branch.  And then continue making changed in both the
main trunk as well as the branch

2) One should make a branch first. Then he should give one tag each
to branch as well the main trunk and then only continue to make
changes in the main trunk as well as the branch

3) Combine 1 and 2 i.e. give a tag to the file - Make a branch - then
give tag to both the branch as well as the main trunk - Now continue
making changes to the main trunk and the branch

4) None of the above but something else

In the documentation, the use of tag and branch is given. However the
best practices are not mentioned and this can be achieved only
through experience

Hence I would like to gain from your experience and thanks for your
co-operation

regards
Abhishek