[cvsnt] Problem with the locks

Ahmad Saeed ahmad.saeed at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 11:11:45 BST 2004

Hallo

I am new to cvsnt. I have a little problem. I am sure you people can
solve it out for me.
On the server side I have a repository 'nam'

The user 'xyz' ahs only read access for this directory.

When the user xyz use the checkout command to get the workign
directory the following error is coming

cvs checkout nam
cvs checkout: Updating nam
cvs checkout: failed to create lock directory for
`/usr/local/cvsroot/nam' (/usr/local/cvsroot/nam/#cvs.lock):
Permission denied
cvs checkout: failed to obtain dir lock in repository `/usr/local/cvsroot/nam'
cvs [checkout aborted]: read lock failed - giving up

If on the server side I provide the user xyz the 'w' rights then he
can successfully checkout. But I dont want to provide him write
rights.
What should I do ?

I have gone thourgh the documentation again and again but could not
understand the locks.
To get the read lock, should I create the directoy #cvs.lock and file
#cvs.rfl  on the server side or on the client

Pls help me in this matter

Best Reagdrs,
Ahmad