[cvsnt] Re: cvs rename - Which features wil be implemented?

Johannes Kilian jok at vitronic.com
Wed Sep 8 12:29:38 BST 2004

>> * File test.txt within the Repository also keeps unchanged ...
>>
> That will always be true.  The rename is part of the directory not of
> the file...  until the directory is committed the rename remains local
> to the sandbox.

So cvsnt will allow directory versioning (or better: Why do I have to
commit directories?)

In order to get cvs rename working,  do I have to commit the directory
where the renamed file has been residing before or the directory where
the file is residing after rename or both directories?

I tried all the combinations, but the renamed file still has to be added ...

Is there a plan to provide something like cvs log for directories -
showing the history of directories? Is there a possibilty to get the
"name"-history of files? (something like: File was renamed from xxx to
yyy on 01.01.2003 by JoK)

Another thing I noticed:

cvs add test04.txt
cvs commit test04.txt
cvs rename test04.txt test05.txt
cvs log test05.txt

RCS file: /Test/repotest/Test04/test05.txt,v
Working file: test05.txt
head: 1.1
branch:
locks: strict
access list:
symbolic names:
keyword substitution: kv
total revisions: 1;     selected revisions: 1
revision 1.1
date: 2004/09/08 11:22:19;  author: VITRONIC\jok;  state: Exp;
commitid: 277413eeb69352c;  filename: test04.txt;
test04

But: The RCS file is /Test/repotest/Test04/test04.txt,v and NOT
/Test/repotest/Test04/test05.txt,v

Johannes