[cvsnt] Antivirus survey

Herb Croken HCroken at arrowheadgrp.com
Wed Sep 8 18:36:11 BST 2004

We are using Trend AV and had to disable realtime Scanning. With it enabled
we saw a 400% performance drop. I found this in an email passed around at
the time.

It breaks the filesystem. What seems to be happening is what gets written to
the temp files that cvs uses is different to what is read back. This is
fatal... if it was doing something like deleting the files you'd just get an
error, but Norton is return 'ok' then returning junk. You end up with a
repository where the diffs end up as diffs based on the wrong data (usually
an empty file) which is pretty irretrevable.