[cvsnt] Re: com interface

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Sep 15 19:24:59 BST 2004

Phil Swartzell wrote:
> Is there any documentation on the COM interface of CVSNT.  It is listed as
> an advantage over CVS, but I can't figure out how to use it.  I have never
> done any direct COM programming, but have used several languages that can
> use COM interfaces.
>
> My primary question is this:  If I build a class that implements ICVSInfo2
> from CVS.exe (which I can do in multiple languages), how do I register my
> class to be called when the trigger events happen in CVSNT?  Do I regeister
> the class with COM, do I put the dll in the CVS directory, or is there
> another method?

You put the GUID in the info scripts you want it to be called from
eg:

DEFAULT {551BE51E-9BFA-49a2-AD8C-F59771F2BF34}

It's much easier to write things like emailers using COM, since the same
object remains current throughout the session - you don't have to muck
around with storing the data in temporary files etc.  I got a really
nice set of trigger functions running in c# in under an hour.

The class will have to be registered as for any other object - your IDE
will probably do this for you.