[cvsnt] Re: Latest Updates

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Sep 16 22:37:25 BST 2004

Oliver Giesen wrote:
> Seeing that you can NOT commit to HEAD, and going by the gut feeling that a
> Head is something that's at the end/top of something rather than the
> something itself, I'm still prefering the view that HEAD is a symbolic name

You can commit to HEAD though...  That's what you're doing when there's
no branch.  'cvs commit -r HEAD foo.txt' works too...

Try:
cvs update -r HEAD a.txt
cvs status a.txt
cvs commit -fm "test" a.txt

..this is clearly a commit to HEAD :)

>>(with the caveat the if you've changed the default branch it'll be the
>>wrong one, but few people ever do that).
>

> Hmm, don't like that stance...

It's the only one practical given the fact that changing the default
branch isn't versioned.

TBH I'm not sure myself even how to change the default branch, and I've
never had a need to do it.  That doesn't mean there aren't people who do
it, but I doubt it's the norm.

>>I need to generalize the parsing one day, to allow that kind of syntax
>>everywhere (not just update) and put in the HEAD.1, foo.1 kind of syntax.
>

> I'm all for the BranchName.# syntax to replace the current revision
> numbering scheme. I'd just prefer the trunk not be named HEAD but something
> more "trunky", like TRUNK or MAIN...

I've always referred to the 'HEAD branch' and so have a lot of other
people, so it seems it's the common usage.  It may not be the best name
for it, but it's the name we're stuck with.

Defining a different name for HEAD is one of those things that's on the
wishlist (low priority I think though).