[cvsnt] Re: cvs edit -x & cvs admin -l

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon Sep 20 02:34:07 BST 2004

bins wrote:
> What's the status of these two commands please ?
> cvs edit -x seems to crash cvs.exe in various scenarios but it's a new
> feature so maybe it's not yet finished ...
> cvs admin -l is marked as deprecated - presumably because of cvs edit -x ??
> I'm runnning 2.0.52 both client and server on xppro, from sources compiled
> by me.

admin -l has been depreciated for a year or two now...  edit -c/commit
-c replaced them.

edit -x is basically a mandatory version of edit -c.  Try 2.0.55, which
shouldn't crash (as it's a release candidate... I've got the known bugs
out I think).

One caveat to this is older cliends don't check for exclusivity, so if
on a 2.0.55 you do an edit -x, on a cvshome.org client you could do an
edit, and the server would refuse it but the client isn't smart enough
to know how to handle that....  Not much I can do about that unfortunately.