[cvsnt] On Windows Server client: "cvs update: Empty password used - try 'cvs login' with a real password" error

Jeffrey Blaze jeffrey.blaze at nomissolutions.com
Wed Sep 22 21:21:10 BST 2004

We are running WinCVS 1.3.13 clients, on top of CVSNT 2.0.8.  Our CVS server is running on Windows Server 2003.  We have a mix of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 clients.

We are not having problems with the XP clients.

When running WinCVS on the Windows Server clients, users can successfully log in.  However, any other operation yields the following:

cvs update: Empty password used - try 'cvs login' with a real password

followed by:

cvs [update aborted]: authorization failed: server devsource01 rejected access to /builddir for user abuilder

The interesting thing is that the user abuilder is NOT the logged-in user.  abuilder is a login that was used long ago, on only one of the Windows Server clients in question.

I have seen some discussion on other message boards about a file named cvspass, and password caching in general, but it does not seem to apply to the versions of WinCVS and CVSNT that we are running (and I can't find a file named cvspass not any meaningful registry settings of that name).

Does anyone have an idea as to why this would be occurring.  Perhaps some other known problem regarding Windows Server<-->CVS integration would provide a hint...

Thanks!

Jeff