[cvsnt] Re: recommended hardware requirements for large cvsnt repository and 20-50+ users

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Sep 29 15:54:02 BST 2004

Joe Enfield wrote:
> I've searched the news group for and wiki for recommended requirements.
> The only thing I've found is the minimum requirement for a small repository
> with few users in the 'ReadMe'
>
> So, does anyone have some specifics for a repository that:
> 1. has 1000's of files - average size

I usually say 3 times the size of the fully checked out repository or
thereabouts...  If you're storing lots of binaries the usage is likely
to go up a lot faster than with text-only repositories, so double/triple
that estimate for them.  'As much as you can get' is a good rule of thumb.

Memory usage is mostly determined by number of simultaneous users - it
doesn't change a lot for large numbers of files (although 1000s of files
in the same directory will have an impact).  12MB per simultaneous user
is a reasonable estimate.

Fast hard disk access is a big plus so SCSI is better than IDE if you
can get it - the speed is mostly determined by disk access times.

If you want to run AV on the server switch off any realtime scanning as
that murders the performance.