[cvsnt] Re: Authenticated users importing modules which they don't have NTFS access too.

BenM benmeadowcroft at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 17:06:48 BST 2005

On Apr 6, 2005 3:01 PM, Tony Hoyle <tmh at nodomain.org> wrote:
> BenM wrote:
> > I'm guessing that the directories and files are initially created by
> > the SYSTEM account and then CVSNT tries to change all the permissions
> > to those of the authenticated user? I'd rather not have to do this
> > manually clean up miscreated directories everytime someone screws up
> > and improts a module into the wrong place. Any ideas on how I can fix
> > this?
>
> All the files are created as the user.
>
> This looks like a file permissions issue.  You've given them create
> access but not write.

Actually they only have read access at this level of the repository as
I don't want them to create directories or files at all!

The fact is that I was expecting the module creation to fail as the
users don't have create or write access on the lower levels but only
on their specific projects folder.

e.g. UserA has the Read access rights on
/cvs
/cvs/projects
/cvs/projects/project1

and write and create access on
/cvs/projects/project1

however this doesn't stop them "partially" importing a new module "newmod" at
/cvs/newmod

Which then falls over partway through due to access right problems
indicated earlier. Rather than failing over part way through I was
hoping that CVSNT server would "fail" at the beginning and not leave
various artefacts in the filesystem as a result of the partial import.

I hope that has made my problem clearer.

regards,
Ben