[cvsnt] Windows 2003 Security Issues

Dan Cedric Delima dan at sbg.soft-service.co.jp
Mon Apr 11 02:46:49 BST 2005

Hi All,

Thank you for your help in the mailing lists.

I am trying to make CVSNT run on a Windows Server 2003 (Standard Edition
- Japanese), but I have been struggling with security blockages of Windows.

Presently im trying 2 versions of CVSNT, the Japanese version and the
English version
English: 2.5.01.1927
Japanese: 2.0.51d-5 SJIS
<http://igeta.ifdef.jp/cvsnt-2.0.51d-sjis-5.exe.zip>

At first, I had to do the following steps to get to my present stuck-up
point. (Hopefully it will help others later too.)
1) Install the package.
2) Create a CVSGroup group.
3) Create the Test User.
4) Placed Test user as CVSGroup member.
5) Created the Temp folder (inside the CVSNT install location)
6) Set all permissions available for CVSGroup on the Temp folder.
7) Set all permissions available for CVSGroup on the CVS reporsitory too.

Up to that im sure something improved, after that, I have tried the
following
a) Toggle impersonation (Impersonate to Administrator), on and off
b) Switch Unix Compatibility On and Off

I might have forgotten other attempts but these are the main ones.
I use the cvs command line clients enclosed with the proper releases and
no 2 releases happened to be on the machine on the same time.  I always,
uninstall one after the other.

The problem:
Login command is now okay and responding.  problem is the Import.
Import returns the following error, after prompting a import comment
(notepad).
cvs [import aborted]: reading hsperfdata_SYSTEM/1444: Permission denied

Im thinking that it might be the performance data is now blocked for
process access.  But how do you switch that?

Thanks for your help.

Dan