[cvsnt] How to restrict checkout permission?

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Thu Apr 21 17:14:25 BST 2005

dzielke at aep.com wrote:
> I would be interested in this as well.  I have played with cvscop and been
> able to keep users from doing commits/tags/etc but not keep them out of
> the repository altogether...

I have a group set up called "CVSUsers", and only they have access to
the CVS repository and temp directories.  Take everyone off and you've
restricted your repository to only those authorized.  Then you can use
CVSNT's ACL system to fine tune modules and branch access.

I also have a similar group "CVSAdmins" is used for the CVSROOT, but
it's not necessary if you use the ACL system properly (and it's better
to use the builtin one anyway because of the permission exceptions
within CVSROOT -- valtags and history).

The only downside is if you use ViewCVS.  The setup needs to be altered
slightly (IIS configuration, set to NT Authentication for the ViewCVS web).

--
Glen Starrett