[cvsnt] How to search revision by log message ?

Czarnowski, Aric aczarnowski at unimax.com
Fri Apr 22 17:43:34 BST 2005

> Does anyone knows how to search revision by
> the log message ?

As far as I know there is no native CVS way to do this.  Logging a
grepping doesn't work either because of the log listing format.

A while back I drug our development group kicking and screaming away
from $Log: $ expansions in our source files and this was, by far, the
main complaint raised.  Despite fundamental problems with the concept
developers like doing text searches through sources looking for commit
message strings like bug numbers.  Sure, it doesn't cover binaries and
there are other issues but that's what many like to do because the
action is "in band" and doesn't require multi-tasking out to some other
tool.

I didn't get any replies to my post which told me there wasn't a simple
way out there I was overlooking.

We managed the move through a combination of ViewCVS links in the header
of each text source file and loginfo hooks that placed commit listings
into our bug tracking software based on bug numbers found in the commit
descriptions.

--Aric

Aric Czarnowski
Unimax Systems Corporation