[cvsnt] CVS Use case

Matt Schuckmann matthew_schuckmann at amat.com
Fri Apr 22 21:33:37 BST 2005

The input to the tool is the list of Task labels and the previous build
label.

That should be enough for the tool to figure out what to promote.

Now I can write a script/gui/whatever that runs cvs rlog to get all the
revision information for all the files parses it builds a database out of
the information figures out what gets labeled with the new build label,
issues label commands for each file individually and checks out the build,
in fact somebody did that with our last CM system and it was a nightmare
we're talking hours to generate and checkout a build.  I'd like to work to
CVSNT's strengths to avoid a repeat of this.

It seems that enough people have worked on and used cvs that these problems
have been solved before and there is a proper way to use the tool to
accomplish what I need.

Personally I think that using branching for each task very closly matches
what I want except for a few annoyances (see my earlier post in response to
Glen)

Matt S.

"Merrill Cornish" <merrill.cornish at earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:mailman.53.1114198289.20198.cvsnt at cvsnt.org...
> Matt,

> How much a tool can do for you depends a lot on how you decide what to
promote.  If one person is responsible for the promote decision, then that
person's got to specify the promotion choices.  Perhaps you can create a
click-to-promote GUI.  Perhaps the person creates a list of files and
revisions that a script reads.  In either case, you can't talk about what a
tool does without deciding what the original input to the tool is.