[cvsnt] Re: Installation problems with 1927

Torsten Martinsen torsten at tiscali.dk
Fri Apr 22 21:57:21 BST 2005

Bo Berglund wrote:

>>The first thing
>>I do after installation is rename the services.  Why would I care more
>>about the build level than about which server it is?  That looks like a
>>developer conceit.
>>

>Huh? If you rename the services then you can be certain that any
>upcoming upgrade install and any uninstall you try to do will fail.

I believe the OP was referring to changing the name displayed in the
Services applet - that name is taken from the DisplayName value in the
registry key under HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services associated
with the services. Changing that (and the Description value) does not
affect starting and stopping the service (renaming the registry key
itself would of course have disastrous results).

-Torsten