[cvsnt] Re: CVS Use case

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Mon Apr 25 05:09:49 BST 2005

Matt Schuckmann wrote:
> No I don't want to only checkout the changed files but I do want to be
> able to identify what was changed with respect a task, yes if it's on a
> branch this is pretty easy but what if it's not on a branch? Further
> more I want to be able to bring the changes from a few "approved" tasks
> together to create a new Release Candidate build how would one go about
> doing that?

Why wouldn't they be on a branch?  I would assume that would be required
by your process from what you've been talking about.  The release
manager would have to merge all the "approved" tasks onto HEAD (or onto
a RC branch) and then handle any conflicts there.  Integration testing
should be part of any project schedule.

> You know what I think your right, when I tested this before I forgot to
> include the -kk option. When I just retested it I included the -kk
> option and I didn't have the problem, well the duplicate revision does
> get created on the branch but not on the trunk cool.

Thanks for the info.

> Plus while I was testing it this time I noticed the -M option (floating
> branch) to the tag command, the floating branch is pretty much exactly
> what I was looking for.
>
> I think that floating branches per task are pretty much going to do what
> I want. Unless any of you know of any peculiarities with floating branches?

You should make sure you think through using a floating branch.  Look
back through the archives here and see the discussion around them --
they can break your sandbox unexpectedly.

Example in a nutshell:  You need to update f1 in foo.c on a branch, so
that locks the place where foo.c is branched from.  It happens that
foo.c uses a f2 in bar.c.  However, bar.c is still floating -- so when
someone else merges a version to MAIN that alters the way that f2 works,
your sandbox is now broken until you merge in the latest changes into foo.c.

Naturally, it is all dependent on how your project's dependencies are
set up and how coordinated your developers are... YMMV.

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett