[cvsnt] Re: SSH and CVSNT

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Apr 26 16:37:55 BST 2005

Joelle Tegwen wrote:
> I saw an old post (2003) saying that cvsnt doesn't natively support ssh. Is
> this still true?

No cvs does, really.  ssh is used as a tunnel over which the cvs
protocol travels.

cvsnt on Win32 has an integrated plink client (:ssh:) which takes care
of the client side.  Server side ssh is tricky on Win32.. It's really a
Unix thing (basically you end up running cygwin and a port of openssh).

If your server is in an Active Directory you should be able to setup
your mac so you can kinit to it and use :gserver:, which is extremely
secure (I'm hoping they make this easier in Tiger... ideally OSX would
be a full AD member and would have a ticket already).

Mac cvsnt clients can also use :sserver: which is almost as secure as ssh.

For your windows clients use encypted SSPI - within your local active
directory domain they'll use kerberos anyway and will be as secure as
you're going to get.

> The documentation I'm using for setting up the ssh on the client side is
> this http://www.bsdconsulting.no/wincvs-ssh/ but how about for a mac? The
> puTTY FAQ says:

Don't bother with outside Win32 - Unix machines all come with a
perfectly good ssh client and server anyway.