[cvsnt] Re: Sharing the server

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Wed Apr 27 02:29:04 BST 2005

Dennis Forcier wrote:
> One of the (semi-official?) "How to set up CVS" documents says to
> install CVSNT on its own server.  Not entirely clear why but it appears
> to suggest loading sensitivity.  Someone want to comment on this?
>
> In my own case, I'm in a low-volume (currently non-production)
> environment with only one RAID.  On that machine lives the database
> server (DB2 Ent.), an application server (Websphere), Apache, and
> CVSNT.  Dual PIII/850 with 768 MB.  Am I asking for trouble?

You'll probably be just fine.  CVSNT server doesn't use any resources
when users aren't accessing it.  Make sure you have plenty of RAM (the
biggest factor to performance in a shared application environment).
Also make sure you disable AV real-time virus scans on the CVSNT
repository and temp directories since that can kill server performance.

--
Glen Starrett