update -j -kk (was RE: [cvsnt] Re: Corrupted Word Doc)

David Hauck davidh at netacquire.com
Thu Apr 28 04:52:07 BST 2005

Hi Tony,

> Glen Starrett wrote:
> > I certainly agree there should be some better solution, but I don't
> > know
> > what it is.  Falling back to the "it's not recommended to commit
> > binaries" doesn't really work in practice in a lot of cases.
> >
> > Tony, do you have some recommendation for this?
>
> The code does an implicit -kk where necessary but this
> doesn't work in
> all cases (mostly due to the way the files are stored).  -k-v
> might work
> but it likely to have some of the same issues.

I obviously don't understand the intracacies of what's being done in the
code so forgive me if the following comment seems naïve. Specifically, why
is it not just sufficient to *ignore* the -kk behaviour for files that are
tagged as binary (i.e., added with -kb) in the repository? The result would
be exactly what I'd want in my mixed binary/text repository with an "update
-kk -j".

Cheers, -David