[cvsnt] Re: maximum repository size

Andrew Wheat A.Wheat at 7city.co.uk
Thu Apr 28 16:03:40 BST 2005

If you have many hundreds of revisions (I saw some gnu project which was
reporting a couple of thousand revisions of a single file, I would
suggest tagging, backing up the repository. Then marking that backup as
read-only and using the admin command to trim old revisions - thus
making the active repository much smaller.

As to the maximum size of a repository, I don't know if there is a hard
limit imposed by cvs[nt] (although I doubt it) but if you're waiting
tens of minutes for a command to execute, then I'd suggest it is either
time for a server upgrade, or time to trim out revisions!

Andrew