[cvsnt] Problem connecting to repository using SSPI

Matt Schuckmann matthew_schuckmann at amat.com
Tue Aug 2 00:03:46 BST 2005

I'm sorry to have to post this since I thought I understood this and swore
that I'd never have to ask this type of question but as it turns out I do.

I've been working for the last couple of months on setting up our new CVSNT
server, it's running on a Win2003 server all shiny and new running the
latest testing version of CVSNT. I have had no problem connecting to this
server, using sspi and my network username and password,  from my WinXP
system also using the latest testing version of CVSNT. I just tried to setup
my first user, also using the latest testing version of CVSNT and he can't
connect. The login command seems to work fine for him but any other command
(including version) gives him the following error message:

cvs [ls aborted]: cvs [server aborted]: Repository directory E:/DATA/CVSRepo
does not exist: Permission denied

I checked his CVSROOT and it looks right. What's funny is the path
E:/DATA/CVSRepo is the real path to the CVS repositories on the server.
I also had him try the command from my system and he gets the same error.
Even though I didn't think that he needed them I gave him full read & write
privileges to the repository directory but that didn't help.

If someone could give me some advise on how to get this user working I would
very much appreciate it.
Also if someone could clarify for me if I need to give all the users Windows
File system read/write privileges to the repository (when using the SSPI
protocol), or if I should use the run as user option or ?

I find the sections in the manual for security and privileges horribly
disjointed and incomplete.

"Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.01 (Travis) Build 2025"

Oh ya the latest test version of CVSNT I'm referring to is

Here is a trace of my first user running cvs -ttt ls

H:\>cvs -ttt ls
14:23:14: -> Tracelevel set to 3. PID is 2944
14:23:14: -> Session ID is b8042ee92c24e9c
14:23:14: -> Session time is Mon Aug 1 21:23:14 2005
14:23:14: -> Domain found: AMAT
14:23:14: -> CVS Server is acting as standalone
14:23:14: -> main loop with
CVSROOT=:sspi:bbeauchaine87408 at na-hills-sw:/CVSRepo