[cvsnt] Up-to-date check failed after failed commit...

rajiv kumar cvsissue at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 5 16:44:37 BST 2005

Problem 1:
This is due to the increased version available in CVS while you are trying to commit the old version. Can't say more on this :-(
Problem 2:
Restart the CVS server and again try to checkin. It should work. Many times I faced the same problem and upon restarting the cvs server, it got fix. I feel the reason is some other process is alredy using that file which prevents you to rename it.
Rajiv Kr. Srivastava

John Cole <john.cole at uai.com> wrote:
I am working on a build script that checks out the source files (after
deleting them) builds, and then commits the changes back to cvs. While I'm
getting some strange errors (another issue, I am still trying to figure out)
on commit, I have found that trying to commit again fails with an up to date
check on many (but not all) changed files.

Since I'm doing this on my test server, no one else could have changed

A 'cvs udpate' updates and merges changes from previous versions (which is
very confusing).

I've compared the folders before/after the update and they are identical
except for a few files in the cvs directories.

The problem is that I still cannot commit, even after doing an update, it
comes back with the same up-to-date check failed! How can I commit these
files (no one else has access to the test server).

Problem 2

The reason for the commit failure was a permission denied on renaming a

[exec] cvs [commit aborted]: cannot rename file
exe to uaPermissionsUpdater2.exe: Permission denied

I'm running as a system admin, delete the entire source directory, check out
the files, build, and try and commit. So I'm confused as to why cvs cannot
rename what I assume is a temp file. Also is that error from the server or
the client?

I'm running Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.51d
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.01 (Travis) Build 1990

John Cole

cvsnt mailing list
cvsnt at cvsnt.org

Do You Yahoo!?