[cvsnt] cvs command to update to *start* of branch?

Nitzan Shaked calius at netvision.net.il
Wed Aug 10 07:08:34 BST 2005

The script I wrote is for the unix shell, I don't know whether or not it
will be useful for WinCVS. It's written in PERL -- can WinCVS run PERL
scripts?

More below.

> But of course there is a problem here when I think about it, files
> that have been added after some work has been done on the branch will
> have a "first" revision on the branch as well. But we don't want these
> to remain in the sandbox after running the command so there must be a
> special case that checks if a file has been added on the branch, in
> which case it will be purged from the sandbox.

I've thought about this (I hope). What I do is "rlog" the branch and see
what files
have ever been on the branch. (there could also have been files in rev .1 on
the
branch that are no longer in the current directory, but you DO want them).

After rlog-ing I find the earliest date in which any modification has been
made
to the branch, simply update with -r and -D. This seems to work very well
for
me on the several branches I've tested, which included added, removed and
(of course) changed files.

I am going to repost my original mail now, with a .gz version of the script.

Nitzan.