[cvsnt] Re: Latest Updates - CVSNT 2.5.02 Build 2057

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Mon Aug 15 02:39:26 BST 2005

Bo Berglund wrote:

> I have now created the InnoSetup installer version of the 2048 setup.

OK, after having analyzed the latest wxs files and comparing the actual
results of using the official MSI installer vs. Bo's Inno installer in
a VMware session, I have now made some further adjustments (partially
rewrote the thing) to the Inno-installer to more closely mimick the
layout and behaviour of the official installer.

Here's what I changed (since my last post on this):

-Completely rewrote [Components] section to duplicate choices offered
by the MSI installer

-Added the new XDiff Ext handler (ext_xdiff.dll)

-Removed no longer used simcvs.exe, cvscontrol.exe and cvsclient.chm

-Removed setacl.exe in favour of using Inno's permission flag for the
Temp folder (BTW: the MSI does not create a dedicated Temp dir at all -
and personally, I don't really like it under ProgramFiles either -
maybe introduce a custom page for this later on)

-Only create shortcuts to control panel when installing server
components

-Always install internet shortcuts (previously they were treated as
part of the "Documentation" component)

-Adjusted start menu shortcuts to duplicate entries created by MSI
installer

-cleaned up functionality duplicated in [Run], [Registry] and [Code]
sections (mostly stopping/starting/(un)installing services)

-Removed Tasks (the MSI does not offer these - not sure I really like
this yet)

-Removed many superfluous MinVersion directives (where already handled
by restriction on parent component)

-Increased compression level

-Some more minor tweaks

-As source material I used exclusively files extracted from the latest
MSI installer (2.5.02.2057 RC4) instead of the ones from the binary and
sysfiles packages as there appeared to be some differences (among other
things, more up-to-date docs and a significantly smaller dbghelp.dll).

My installer is now available here:
http://mitglied.lycos.de/ogiesen/cvsnt-2.5.2.2057-setup.zip

The complete (binary) source files plus the Inno script here:
http://mitglied.lycos.de/ogiesen/cvsnt-2.5.2.2057-bin.7z

Just the new Inno script here (requires Inno 5.1.4):
http://mitglied.lycos.de/ogiesen/cvsnt.iss

The bandwidth on that site sometimes appears to be rather low and there
might even be a download limit, so if anyone cares to mirror this, just
go ahead. I don't know if I will be able to keep on updating these. The
intention of this post was more that of a discussion starter. I really
don't think there should be several different Inno installers in the
long run. It's probably confusing enough as it is already (given that
anyone actually knows about the Inno installers at all that is)...

Also be aware that Tony has not announced the 2057 build here yet, so I
don't even know what has changed since 2048. Until he does it's
probably best not to use this one for anything other than testing the
installer.

Cheers,

--
Oliver