[cvsnt] Re: modules / modules2 help

Matt Schuckmann matthew_schuckmann at amat.com
Mon Aug 15 18:20:07 BST 2005

I think that if you add this to modules2 it should give you most of what you
want.

[NEWMODDIR]
A1dir = A1dir
B1dir = B1dir
C3dir = C1dir/C2dir/C3dir

The only thing that doesn't seem to work is placing the c2file in the root
of NEWMODDIR, according to the documentation the following line should do
this but it doesn't seem to work in practice.

/ = !C1dir/C3dir

In fact it seems to prevent all the other lines from working.

I've also noticed that some of the cvs commands don't work as advertised
with the modules2 stuff, in particular ls doesn't work.
I'm doing the same thing that you are and I wanted to restructure the code
to inprove code sharing etc then used modules2 to make it look like it used
to until we were ready to restructure the makefiles but since modules2
doens't seem to work as advertised I had to abandon that effort.

No one seems willing to talk about or fix modules2 even though it is
advertised as one of the great new features of CVSNT.

Matt S.

"Mark Johnson" <amarkjohnson at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.493.1124125370.448.cvsnt at cvsnt.org...
I am fairly new to cvsnt.

Versions:
  server = cvsnt
  client = wincvs 2.0.2.3, using cvsnt 2.5.01.1976 client

I am trying to figure out the modules and modules2 files, prior to the
initial creation of my repository.  We are starting a new project in
cvsnt based on an existing project in another source control system.
We are adding everything from scratch, as we do some restructuring.
This allows the opportunity to plan the repository, and how we'll use
the modules file (and which one).  The problem is that I don't know
enough to figure it all out.

I currently have modules Adir, Bdir, and Cdir, which I imported,. with
the real repo structure below

/cvsrepo/A1dir/a1file
/cvsrepo/A1dir/A2dir/a2file

/cvsrepo/B1dir/b1file
/cvsrepo/B1dir/B2dir/b2file

/cvsrepo/C1dir/c1filfe
/cvsrepo/C1dir/C2dir/c2file
/cvsrepo/C1dir/C2dir/C3dir/c3file

I want a module that checks out the contents of C2dir (+ all files &
subdirs), A1dir (+all), B1dir (+all)

NEWMODDIR
     A1dir
          a1file
          A2dir
               a2file
     B1dir
          b1file
          B2dir
               b2file
     C3dir
          c3file
     c2file

I could not figure this out w/ modules, and tried the following w/
modules2, which does not work.

[NEWMODDIR]
/ = C1dir/C2dir
A1dir
A2dir

I guess the main thing I stumped on, is how do I check out one module
into another?

I have read the modules file info in the main cvs documentation, and
also modules/modules2 doc in winCvs.

Thanks in advance for any help

Mark Johnson