[cvsnt] Re: Difference between tag and branch without commits?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Aug 25 20:04:10 BST 2005

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:11:53 -0300, Gerhard Fiedler
<lists at connectionbrazil.com> wrote:

>is there a difference (performance, storage) between a simple tag and a
>branch tag to which I don't commit anything?
>When sending test versions to a tester, I don't know up front whether I
>will have to make changes to a certain test version.
>- I could tag the versions, and only branch them if I actually have to make
>changes to it.
>- Or I could just branch them all, and leave the ones alone where I don't
>have to make changes. This is more convenient, obviously. But I'd like to
>know whether there's a downside to this -- that is, whether a branch tag is
>more "expensive" in any way than a simple tag.

THe down side is that if you make a branch at the release point and
then later work on that branbch it is very difficult to get back to
the exact release state. There is no way to use a cvs command to get
the *base* of the branch once it has gone active.
So I vote for setting a release tag on the TRUNK and later (if needed)
branch off that point to work on some modifications to that particular

(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)