[cvsnt] ViewCvs installer may cause authentication problems

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Aug 27 14:06:06 BST 2005

I just discovered by chance that in some cases my ViewCvs installer
may cause problems using regular cvs commands. The reason is that the
installer drops off a cvs.exe (2.0.41a) into the
c:\Programs\GnuWin32\bin directory, which is also put first in the
system path by the installer.
Now, since the protocol dll:s are not part of this then if the cvs
command issued finds this cvs.exe first then there are no protocol
dll:s and the authentication fails. Typical error message:

cvs [log aborted]: the :sspi: access method is not installed on this

Delete the cvs.exe file inside the GnuWin32\bin directory or put the
regular CVSNT directory before the GnuWin32\bin dir in the system path
environment variable (this requires a system reboot to work).

I am sorry for the confusion, but it was necessary in order to fix a
problem with RSC file parsing in ViewCvs with some CVSNT servers.

(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)