[cvsnt] ViewCvs installer may cause authentication problems

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Aug 27 14:06:06 BST 2005

I just discovered by chance that in some cases my ViewCvs installer
may cause problems using regular cvs commands. The reason is that the
installer drops off a cvs.exe (2.0.41a) into the
c:\Programs\GnuWin32\bin directory, which is also put first in the
system path by the installer.
Now, since the protocol dll:s are not part of this then if the cvs
command issued finds this cvs.exe first then there are no protocol
dll:s and the authentication fails. Typical error message:

cvs [log aborted]: the :sspi: access method is not installed on this
system

Resolution:
Delete the cvs.exe file inside the GnuWin32\bin directory or put the
regular CVSNT directory before the GnuWin32\bin dir in the system path
environment variable (this requires a system reboot to work).

I am sorry for the confusion, but it was necessary in order to fix a
problem with RSC file parsing in ViewCvs with some CVSNT servers.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)