[cvsnt] Re: BUG: Local lock server not started when using :local: with network drive

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Sat Aug 27 23:59:06 BST 2005

Torsten Martinsen wrote:
> One TortoiseCVS user reported a problem when using :local: where the
> repository is on a network drive (yes, I also advise users to not use
> network drives, but they tend to do it anyway). Apparently, the lock
> server is not started in this case; only if the lock server is already
> running will the operation succeed. I have reproduced this using
> 2.5.02.2064.

I would think this would be preferred, sort of, since CVSNT should
really be using file locking if it is accessing a fileshare repository.
  If anyone else is accessing that same fileshare repository then a
lockserver running on the user's local machine would have no knowledge
of the other lockserver running on the other user's machine.

That doesn't help with the specific error, but might help rationalize
the message.

I believe the appropriate workaround would be to tell the user to change
the config to use a lock directory instead, but being a networked drive
I don't know if there would be issues with the drive letter, if relative
path would work, or if UNC locations would be better.

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett