[cvsnt] Re: Merging branches with mergepoints

Detlef Marschall ich.ich at gmx.ch
Fri Dec 2 22:06:23 GMT 2005

Am 02.12.2005 schrieb Tony Hoyle:

> Detlef Marschall wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> first, sorry for my bad english.
>>
>> We have the following problem.
>>
>> A branch is split from the HEAD --> B1. We made changes in that branch and
>> merging them to the HEAD "cvs up -jB1". For every merge we become a
>> mergepoint in the HEAD, that's ok.
>>
>> Later we split another branch from HEAD --> B2. All mergepoints from branch
>> B1 are lost in branch B2. In my opinion is this a bug. When we merge from
>> branch B1 to branch B2 cvs will merge all changes from the start of B1 until
>> the last revision in the Branch B1 instead only the last changes.
>
> This is as designed.  B1 is unrelated to B2, except they both come from
> HEAD at some point in the history.

Both came from HEAD, B1 from "rev. 1.3" and B2 from "rev. 1.8". Sorry
for confusion. All branches came from HEAD.

> After the first merge you will have a mergepoint and it'll work normally.

That's right, but is not acceptable in our development. We must then use
the "commit --> merge with TAG and Branch --> TAG" way. Mergepoints are
very useful, but in that case they are to complicated and cause more
problems as they solved.

bye
Detlef