[cvsnt] File Permissions when moving CVS Repos from Linux to CVSNT

Roy, Rob___PAIC_ENG rob.roy at pentax.com
Sat Dec 3 00:03:41 GMT 2005

Hello,

I am trying to move a CVS repository from a Linux machine to a Win2K
machine.
CVSNT version is 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2151.

The projects in the repository are Linux projects, so of course it needs to
be accessed from Linux clients.

Moving the Repository:
----------------------------------
There are a few sites which document procedures for this, including
http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/MoveFromLinux.
I did it basically the same as this, except I used "tar xvzf" via Cygwin to
unpack the repos instead of using WinZip.

Testing this repos from a Windows client:
Using WinCVS (v2.0.2.4) to check out the project, all the "history" info was
available. So, it seemed all was OK.

Testing this repos from a Linux client:
Here is where the problem is. When I use the Linux client to check out a
project from the new repository, files that previously had "execute
permission" set no longer have this permission set. Since some of the
projects are rather large, it is impractical to try to figure out which
files require execute permission and set these afterwards. So, I need to
have the execute permission set immediately after checkout, update, etc.

It seems that if I use "cvs import" to add the project to the new repository
instead of moving the repository, then the execute permission is properly
restored when doing a new checkout. But, in this case, all the change
history of this project is lost.

Is there any way that I can have BOTH the change history and the execute
permission after I move the repository?

best regards,
Rob Roy