[cvsnt] Re: forcing a text file at "non-mergable"

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Mon Dec 5 20:19:33 GMT 2005

Gerhard Fiedler wrote:
> matter what the feature. It's usually the "locking control freaks" who
> don't trust the developers (and want to restrict the available options :)

That's the problem - and I believe the basis of Jerzy's objection.
Developers are usually fine with the concurrent model, and like the
freedom it gives.  Managers however have been known to impose strict
locking from above because they don't trust the developers.

I see strict locks as a necessary evil - from a commercial point of view
a source control system that doesn't support them is at a disadvantage.
  March-hare do explain the various concurrent models as part of their
training course, so that the teams can make a decision what to use
during installation - having the option avoids having to do the
explanation when trying to get the sale (you sometimes still get the
whole strict locking thing imposed by nervous management, but at least
they know the disadvantages).