[cvsnt] Re: timezone to use with update -D option?

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Tue Dec 6 13:26:55 GMT 2005

Gerhard Fiedler wrote:

> I just came about something rather odd with the update to date/time
> command (cvs up -D). It seems to request local (client or server) time
> rather than UTC.

Ok, for lack of better feedback I add here some additional thoughts.

It seems that update -D requires local time rather than UTC. I suspect it's
the client's local time, but haven't had a chance yet to test this.

If it's the client's local time, that makes some sense at least. The odd
thing is that the date/time of the -D option does not match the date/time
of the resulting sticky tag. That looks /really/ odd when you run across it
the first time.

This seems to be the only place in cvsnt where local time is used. I think
as such it would be worth it to mention this in the manual. (I'm not sure,
but probably I'm not the only one surprised by this.) Since the command
reference in the wiki is an immutable page, I couldn't add any comment
there either.

Maybe this is the result of having a system developed on the Greenwich
meridian... it might have been safer to put the UTC meridian somewhere in
the Pacific :)

Gerhard