[cvsnt] Commit aborted - rejected access help

John Bunk jkb at verizonmail.com
Fri Dec 9 18:08:12 GMT 2005

I have a CVSNT v2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2151 server on my Windows 2000 SP4 machine with repository under repository C:\cvsroot and I'm running WinCVS v2.0.2.4 (Build 4) on another machine.  Server is logged in as "foo" (not using actual names!) under Administrator group under "bar" domain.  Create another NT user account called "fee" under Administrator group under "localmachine" domain.  C:\cvsroot folder (and all child folder) security shows EVERYONE and SYSTEM having full access to all folders including and under c:\cvsroot.  As far as NT ACLs are concerned, this should be OK.

Created CVS names "cvs passwd -r foo -a foo" and "cvs passwd -r fee -a fee".

As a side note: interestingly enough, CVSNT WILL NOT let me create a CVS account with a "real user" under the "bar" domain, EVEN THOUGH THAT REAL USER _IS_ IN the server machine's user list!!??!?!  I put it there!  I can give screen dumps to show this...

Another side note:  Why did I do "cvs passwd -r fee -a fee" when I could have used the "foo" real user (cvs passwd -r foo -a fee)?  Because SSPI takes the _NT PASSWORD_, _NOT_ the password set at "cvs passwd" time!?!?!?!  I've confirmed this over and over again, and it's _NOT_ what the documentation says how CVSNT works at all.  This forces ALL CVS accounts to use the system admin's password, which is unacceptable...

Anyway, back to more info...

Server is running under "foo" account on server machine.

Logged into CVS as "foo" from another machine using WinCVS.  Imported a module (project) called "testvideo" with a bunch of source files under CVSROOT while logged in as "foo".  Can log in from another machine with CVSROOT as ":sspi:foo@<server IP addr>:/cvsroot", checkout "testvideo", can modify files, AND _CAN_ commit whole module back into server repository while logged in as "foo".

While I logged in at the server machine under "foo", I also did the following with no error:

cvs chacl -a read,write -u fee testvideo

So I assume CVS has given write privledges to "fee" with this.

OK, I _hope_ I've given enough background, NOW THE PROBLEM:

When I log in with WinCVS on another machine with CVSROOT as ":sspi:fee@<server IP addr>:/cvsroot", I can log in successfully.  NOTE: Again, I'm forced to use the NT password, NOT the CVS assigned password to log in.  I can check out "testvideo", but when I try to commit the project I get this:

"cvs [commit aborted]: authorization failed: server <server IP address> rejected access to /cvsroot for user foo"

Um, I logged in as FEE, _NOT_ FOO!  I've searched the internet for answers and they certainly aren't in any FAQ.  I've seen others ask this same question with absolutely no replys.

I apologize for my caps in some places, and emphasis with _ _, but my frustration meter is pegged at full right now...

John