[cvsnt] Re: cvs update fails to create files

Thomas Klaeger tomy at 10a.ch
Mon Dec 12 22:49:36 GMT 2005

Sorry, Tony, for getting it wrong the first time. I rechecked my tests
and it seems that I did oversimplify them.

I use this script to initialize my module:

--create.cmd--
SET CVSROOT=/my/local/repo
md t1
cd t1
cvs import -C -m "Empty start" add test start
echo Line A >a.txt
cvs add a.txt
cvs commit -m "File A" a.txt
cvs tag RevA a.txt
echo Line B >b.txt
echo Line A >>a.txt
cvs add b.txt
cvs commit -m "File B" b.txt a.txt
cd ..
--------------

The directory t1 contains now two files:
   a.txt, 18 bytes, rev 1.2
   b.txt, 9 bytes, rev 1.1

The repository contains a.txt rev 1.1 (tagged as RevA) and rev 1.2, as
well as b.txt rev 1.1.

I did then a first checkout/update starting with the tag RevA:

--update1.cmd--
SET CVSROOT=/my/local/repo
cvs checkout -d t2 -r RevA add
rem t2 contains a.txt rev 1.1
cd t2
cvs update -d -r 1.2 a.txt
cvs update -d -r 1.1 b.txt
cd ..
---------------

The directory t2 now also contains two files:
   a.txt, 18 bytes, rev 1.2
   b.txt, 9 bytes, rev 1.1

I played a bit with a.txt,v within the repository so a.txt rev 1.1 has
2004-12-12 as checkin date.
This is just to simplify the next script, this second test gives the
same result without it, but you will need to choose the checkout
timestamp carefully otherwise...

I did a second checkout/update with this script:

--update2.cmd--
SET CVSROOT=/my/local/repo
cvs checkout -d t3 -D 2005-01-01 add
rem t3 contains a.txt rev 1.1
cd t3
cvs update -d -r 1.2 a.txt
cvs update -d -r 1.1 b.txt
cd ..

The directory t3 contains only one file:
   a.txt, 18 bytes, rev 1.2

The file b.txt is missing, while IMHO it should have been created by the
'cvs update'.

This happens with cvsnt client only and cvsnt client/server, but not
with cvsnt client/cvs server over ssh

Regards,

Thomas