[cvsnt] Re: cvs edit and possibly forcing different revision

Steve Hobbs shobbs at diablo-technologies.com
Fri Dec 16 14:33:00 GMT 2005

Yeah. I can, and previously I have. I was just wondering if this is
something that could be done server side...
The client side (depending on how smart you want to be) would have to
parse the cvs options and deal with switches. You might even want to
query the files to see which branch to use. This is what I'd done
previously with regular cvs but it added significant overhead (around
3-5 cvs operations per file):
i.e. for cvs edit:
   cvs log or cvs editors (for the lockers),
   cvs status -v,
   cvs update then,
   cvs edit

If I could just leverage the knowledge that the server has of all the
options and return the correct branch for the user to edit, that would
make the most sense to me.
Also the ability to cvs edit and lock a non-branch tag seems a little
strange...

I'm working on some very dumb scripts that do not allow any options and
just do the commands required based on a config file. This at least
means I don't have to query too much.

I know it'll work eventually...

Cheers, Steve

Behalf