[cvsnt] Re: permission denied when users are not admins on the server (using :pserver:)

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Thu Dec 22 20:59:03 GMT 2005

Glen Starrett wrote:

> SSPI uses impersonation, so CVSNT is the user when doing the
> traversals to the repository.  When not in SSPI, it's not -- I would
> guess their user accounts have more permissions on the paths than
> their 'run as' user has (default is SYSTEM for all I think).

I always thought :pserver: also used impersonation unless SystemAuth
was false. How else could it regard file system ACLs? Surely CVS
doesn't check these by itself?

Actually, I just did a quick test by running a cvs rlog . on my local
CVSNT server with varying CVSROOT strings and then checked the cvs.exe
process that was spawned by cvsservice.exe using SysInternals'
ProcessExplorer. Strangely enough the result of this was that with both
:sspi: and :pserver: the spawned process was running as SYSTEM...

Or is this simply not the correct way to check what user a process is
impersonating?

Cheers,

--
Oliver