[cvsnt] only need config files -- missing information

Vanier, Alexandre avanier at jamdat.ca
Tue Feb 1 23:52:46 GMT 2005

I am also in the process of configuring CVSNT 2.0.58d on a Linux box to
authenticate with a win2k PDC from an active directory environnement.

The point of having samba and winbind on the linux server is of course
to make sure that the Linux server when getting a request from a cvs
user is to authenticate invisibly that user (the user don't need to
enter his username and password).  Meaning that the linux server need to
get the domain name and the username of that user and then communicate
with the Windows 2000 PDC to make sure that the user's credential are
good.  So that way the linux cvs server never need to have a local
database of username and password of your AD/PDC.  If you had to create
an account on the linux server and on the windows PDC each time, there
would be no easy administration, we don't want that.

I have sucessfully setup my cvsnt linux server with samba and winbind so
now I can access the cvsnt server with the locally mounted protocol.
For a good explanation on how to do this, I am refering you to this
article:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=114837&highlight=integrate+samb

Forget the fact that this is for gentoo, I've followed the instruction
for my linux server which is running RedHat ES 3.0 and it worked without
any problems ( of course in that explanation there is some commands
exclusive only to gentoo, you'll need to figure out how to do it for
your distro of linux).

So when your samba config is done properly, you can try the wbinfo -u to
get a listing of your usernames (and wbinfo -g for your groups).  At
that point, your linux server will get a list of your users from your
Windows PDC.  This list is not copied on your linux server. it's a query
coming from your Windows PDC.

You will also need to change the permission on your linux server to make
sure that your users/groups of your PDC can access the folders.  Do a
chgrp (change group security) and a chown (change owner security) with
proper access for your users.

A question to the veterans of this list:  With the current setup that I
have, has anybody was ever sucessful to authenticate with a CVSNT Linux
server from a Windows XP/2000 workstation with the sspi protocol?  I've
done lots of search on the Internet regarding this, I've even went
through all the archives of this mailing list and I didn't found so far
any good documentation to setup the sspi protocol on a CVSNT Linux
server within an AD environnement.   Each time that I'm trying to
authenticate on my linux server I get the answer that
DOMAIN_NAME\username : such user doesn't exist.  Even tough that this
same user (me) have all access to the linux server through samba without
any problem.  I know that the linux server is getting the sspi
authentication, it's just not able to authenticate my user.  I'm baffled
as to what exactly is the problem.  For all the informations that I've
found on that topic so far, is that a lot of people said that it should
be working but I have seen no confirmation that somebody was really able
to make it work.  Any help, pointers or informations regarding this
would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Alexandre Vanier
sysadmin