[cvsnt] RE: Server can't talk to itself, was: CVS tries connecting to localhost, want remote

Dick Jackson dick at d-jackson.com
Wed Feb 2 18:01:17 GMT 2005

Glen Starrett wrote:

> Dick Jackson wrote:
> >>cvs server: connect to 127.0.0.1(127.0.0.1):2402 failed: No
> >>connection could be
> >>made because the target machine actively refused it.
> >

> > ... I believe it's telling me that when the server is
> trying to talk to itself
> > (lock server) and is failing! I confirm this by trying
> telnet from the server
> > PC, and it cannot open a connection to *anything*, even to
> a working ftp port
> 21
> > which *other* machines *can* connect to without fail.
>
> Firewall preventing local access?

No software firewall anymore, and the router's firewall couldn't be involved
(right?).

> It could also be a bad TCPIP stack,
> there was one version of an AV product (can't recall the
> name) that had
> a problem but it was fixed awhile back.

Norton AV 2003 was running, but I uninstalled it... still no change.

> Try using the diag tool
> "cvsdiag.exe" in your cvsnt directory and post the results.

OK, that's below.

> Another possibility is that your server doesn't understand that
> localhost is 127.0.0.1, I think I saw that once before.

Nope, I can *ping* localhost (and anywhere else!) just fine.

> You *should* be able to connect locally...  There is probably
> a problem not directly related to CVSNT that is causing it.

Thanks for your patient help!

=====
CVSNT Diagnostic output
-----------------------

Server version: 2.0.51d
OS Version: Windows 2000 5.0.2195 (Service Pack 4)

CVS Service installed: Yes
LockService installed: Yes

pserver installed: Yes
sserver installed: Yes
sspi installed: Yes
ext installed: Yes

Installation Path: C:\Program Files\cvsnt
Repository Prefix: (no value)
Repository 0: G:/cvsrepo/test
Repository 1: G:/cvsrepo/test2
Repository 2: G:/cvsrepo/jnj
Repository 3: (no value)
CVS Temp directory: G:\cvstemp
CA Certificate File: E:\Program Files\cvsnt\cvsnt-default.pem
Private Key File: E:\Program Files\cvsnt\cvsnt-default.pem
CVS Temp directory: G:\cvstemp
Impersonation: Yes
Local Users Only: Yes
Fake Unix CVS: No
Default LockServer: localhost:2402
Disable Reverse DNS: Yes
Server listen port: 2401

Temp dir readable by current user: Yes
Repository0 readable by current user: Yes
Temp dir writable by current user: Yes

AV files detected:
(none)

Installed Winsock protocols:

1061: MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP]
1062: MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP]
1090: RSVP UDP Service Provider
1091: RSVP TCP Service Provider
=====

The "Disable Reverse DNS" caught my eye (can't say why, though) so I flipped it
and get the same failures. Another problem is that while I can ping any named
host on the 'net, I can't do nslookup!:

=====
C:\ nslookup ftp.apple.com
*** Can't find server name for address 64.59.135.133: No response from server
*** Can't find server name for address 64.59.135.135: No response from server
*** Default servers are not available
*** UnKnown can't find ftp.apple.com: No response from server
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  64.59.135.133
=====

Those nameserver addresses are correct and they do work from my other PC.

Next steps? Thanks again.

Cheers,
--
-Dick

Dick Jackson                   /            dick at d-jackson.com
D-Jackson Software Consulting /       http://www.d-jackson.com
Calgary, Alberta, Canada     / +1-403-242-7398 / Fax: 241-7392