[cvsnt] Re: CVS - two way replication

Rahul Bhargava coderobo at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 18:28:09 GMT 2005

Hi  Peter -

First of all let me assure you the intention was not to
put any one off including you. If I have, please accept my
apologies.

I was merely replying to your  2 postings (on similar topics)
where you suggested the impossibility of having a bidirectional
replication.  If you noticed in the last post I was extending your
argument to make my point.  That said I am guilty of harping on
the same point couple of times and I submit the my perspective
to you below:

Lot of CM admins with multisite teams have told us they are getting
a lot of push from their developers  to find an alternate to CVS/CVSNT
that supports multisite - ClearCase Multisite etc. Our solution offers
a counter-point to those thinking of switching from CVS --> ClearCase
multisite (or other SCMs).

It lets teams continue to use existing SCM practises that they
have developed with CVS, which in turn helps the CVS community by
attracting/retaining more projects to stay with CVS/CVSNT. We are
trying to reach out individually to forums like these, which may have
conveyed in the past that a true multisite solution is impossible with CVS.

In short we are eager to tell CM users, stay with CVS/CVSNT, it's simple
to use and meets most needs. If you need multisite, don't loose hope, don't
switch to ClearCase multisite etc.

Of course this may still not be a good enough argument for you w.r.t
repeating
our point multiple times in this forum and I respect that.

Best Regards,
Rahul.