[cvsnt] Re: Save Me From Myself

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Wed Feb 2 22:20:36 GMT 2005

Merrill Cornish wrote:

> I am developing scripts for a GUI tester (i.e., test by watching for
> icons or messages, then responding with keystrokes or mouse clicks).
> The image capture utility we use (and we need a LOT of images to do
> this testing) creates three files per image, one text and two binary.
>
> While I know HOW to add text vs. binary files to CVS, I occassionally
> a mistake, telling CVS that a text file is binary or vice versa.
> However, as nearly as I can tell, the only way to correct the binary
> vs. text CVS file type is to have the CVS administrator do it for me.
>
> Is there anyway for a user using WinCVS or Tortoise to correct the
> file type of a CVS file?

AFAICT this depends on which kind and version of CVS/CVSNT server
you're using. The old-style way of doing it is:

(for forcing a file to binary):
cvs admin -kb filename

(for forcing a file to text):
cvs admin -kkv filename

Note that this will not be a "versioned" change, i.e. it will apply to
past revisions as well as future ones, potentially corrupting the
earlier ones (more or less - you should still be able to retrieve them
alright if you explicitly specify the -k option on update or checkout).

Newer releases of CVSNT (I believe from 2.0.58 onwards) no longer
support the above but instead require you to do the change like this:

cvs up -kb filename
cvs ci -f -m"some message" filename

In this case the change is fully versioned, i.e. CVSNT will create a
new revision from which onwards the new file type will be active.
Earlier revisions will not be affected however.

Note that in both cases there is no administrator required (though it
*is* possible to limit use of the cvs admin command to certain users).

Hope this helps.

--
Oliver
JID:  ogiesen at jabber.org