[cvsnt] ANN: Quick Flash Tour of WinCvs and CVSNT

Oliver Giesen ogiesen at gmx.net
Thu Feb 3 23:01:28 GMT 2005

Hi all!

Just wanted to let you know that I've spent the last few days fiddling
with a little freeware tool called Wink which lets you record screen
activity, comment it and then output it as a Flash movie. In reply to
the repeated queries for hands-on Getting Started information here I
chose to create a little tutorial style demo of installing and
configuring CVSNT and WinCvs for single-machine use (i.e. running a
local CVSNT server and accessing it via :sspi:) as well as showing some
basic operations. (The focus is clearly on the WinCvs side of things but
I thought some of the CVSNT newbs might be interested as well.)

The Flash runs about 15 minutes and is rather raw and unpolished but I
still think it should serve to get neophytes going.

Currently the file is almost 3MB big. If anyone has some ideas on how to
get the size down a bit more, let me know.

The clip is currently available from the Sourceforge file area as a
zipped download:
http://tinyurl.com/5jjcu or
https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=10072&package_id=14571&release_id=302146

Just unzip all and open the contained wincvsnt-tour.html file in your
browser (operational Flash plugin obviously required).

If enough people find this useful I will try to clobber together a few
more smaller clips on other routine tasks such as add, remove, branches
and merging, macro usage, SSH access to SF.net, whatever, etc.

Just tell me what you'd like to see.

Here's what's in it:

1. Installation and basic configuration of:
1.1  CVSNT 2.0.58d
1.2  Python 2.4
1.3  WinMerge 2.2.0
1.4  WinCvs 1.3.21-2