[cvsnt] Re: Incompatibility with "plain" CVS server?

Johan Holmberg holmberg at iar.se
Sun Feb 6 12:01:28 GMT 2005

Tony Hoyle <tmh at nodomain.org> writes:

> Johan Holmberg wrote:
> > [...] Somehow the client has managed to store information on the
> > server, that later can't be processed in a correct way (probably
> > be the server).
>
> This is not in fact possible.  The client can't make the server store
> arbitrary things in the server.

Not "arbitrary" of course ...
But isn't the client and server side cooperating to make
client-server-CVS work?

I only tried to "guess" to the best of my current knowledge what was
going on. With more knowledge, I hope to get to the bottom of this.

It would be really helpful if you could guide me in the right
direction by answering the following questions I have:

- Has CVSNT *not* made any changes to the RCS file format?
  Not even when running with CVSNT on both client and server?

- What role does the "_H_" play in CVSNT?
  It is obviously there in the source (since 2.0.43), but I have not
  understood what role it plays. And in some way it has found its way
  into our archives.

/Johan Holmberg