[cvsnt] CVSNT CVSROOT directory

Prasannna Ujjani Mutt prasanna at semsoftindia-samsung.com
Tue Feb 8 11:05:20 GMT 2005

I have a windows 2K machine, i have installed the latest CVSNT on it. I have
my repository and added all the files, everything is fine.

But i am stuck with the security part of it. I wanted to secure the CVSROOT
(i have secure it right ??). I have done the following for the CVSROOT
folder. When i right click and go to the properties of the folder, in the
security tab, i have removed the "Everyone" with full access and have added
USER_XXX with read, read & execute, list folders access modes. And one user
USER_YYY with full access because he is the admin. But after doing this i am
not able to checkout or checkin or login from my client windows 2K machine
(running wincvs). Now for the CVSROOT folder, if i change back to previous
setting, ie add "Everyone" and give full access, everything works fine.
Somehow i dont feel this is correct. i want to secure the CVSROOT folder. I
am new to CVS itself, so a little confused with the file/folder security of
CVSNT. Can you kindly help me out in this ???

I would also like to put restriction on the files in the repository. for
instance some users must only have read attributes to the project source
code, they must not be able to commit changes to it. And in some cases, they
must not be able to even read (checkout) the files. i want to put such
restrictions, is it possible ???? how to do this ????

thanks and regards
Prasanna Ujjani Mutt
Leading Engineer
Samsung Electro Mechanics Co. Ltd
India Software Center
Bangalore
Phone : 22389713/14/15 Ext:131
Fax    : 22389206
Mail Id : prasanna at semsoftindia-samsung.com
WebSite : www.sem.samsung.com

No virus was detected in the attachment no filename

Your mail has been scanned by InterScan.

and may contain confidential or privileged information.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at
Samsung Electro-Mechanics Co. Ltd. or admin at semsoftindia-samsung.com
immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.
printing or copying of this email or any action taken in reliance on
this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.