[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT CVSROOT directory

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Tue Feb 8 19:28:45 GMT 2005

Prasannna Ujjani Mutt wrote:
> But i am stuck with the security part of it. I wanted to secure the CVSROOT
> (i have secure it right ??). I have done the following for the CVSROOT
> folder. When i right click and go to the properties of the folder, in the
> security tab, i have removed the "Everyone" with full access and have added
> USER_XXX with read, read & execute, list folders access modes. And one user
> USER_YYY with full access because he is the admin. But after doing this i am
> not able to checkout or checkin or login from my client windows 2K machine

You need to grand SYSTEM full control of the CVSROOT (at minimum) as the
CVS process starts up under SYSTEM by default while it checks it's
configuration and looks up users allowed (e.g. passwd, readers, writers,
etc.).

You can also use the CVS chacl command to do more specific control of
directories (I don't know offhand if it works against individual files).
  You can also control which branch(es) that specific user(s) can commit
to with the chacl command.

--
Glen Starrett