[cvsnt] Re: Using Modules file in CVSROOT to remap directories on client side checkout

Brian J. Davis davisb at orbitec.com
Wed Feb 9 00:04:33 GMT 2005

First of all my posting contained an error use of
CVSTestProject2/CVSTestProject1 should read CVSTestProject2.

Since most of the documentation on CVS is unclear (at least to me) as to
what directory
structure will result from the uses of alias modules (where individual files
are mapped) and regular moduels (how to apply options)  I thought I would
create an example and see what it would actualy do.

I am trying to take and create a hybrid project which utilizes a combination
of files and directories from 1 project and 1 library which are tracked in
CVS in two modules.

Your previous question:

What exactly were you trying to do? What folder hierarchy do you expect to
be
created on checkout?

My answer:

The tree on the repository:
+CVSROOT

+CVSTESTProject2
    -prj2dir1level1File1.txt
    -prj2dir1level1File2.txt
    +prj2dir1level2
        -prj2dir1level2File1.txt
        -prj2dir1level2File2.txt
    +prj2dir2level2
        -prj2dir2level2File1.txt
        -prj2dir2level2File2.txt

+CVSTestLibrary1
    +lib1dir1level1
        -lib1dir1level1file1.txt
        -lib1dir1level1file1.txt
        +lib1dir1level2
            -lib1dir1level2file1.txt

I would like to map a directory
(CVSTestProject2/prj2dir1level1/prj2dir1level2) and a file
(CVSTestProject2/prj2dir2level1/prj2dir1level2/prj2dir2level2File2.txt) from
CVSTESTProject2 and the entire libraries (CVSTestLibrary1) module to a
hybrid project with the checkout name hybridproj using cvs co hybridproj
(well actualy using CVSGUI for the checkout, but right now I will settle for
the command prompt).  I am hoping to rename the project on checkout to
AAHNew.

So the heiracrhy I expect on checkout is:

+AAHNew
    +-Libraries
        +lib1dir1level1
            -lib1dir1level1file1.txt
            -lib1dir1level1file1.txt
            +lib1dir1level2
                -lib1dir1level2file1.txt
    +-aaprjsrc
        -prj2dir2level2File2.txt
        +prj2dir2level2
            -prj2dir2level2File1.txt
            -prj2dir2level2File2.txt

So I am thinking my modules file should be:

Libraries CVSTestLibrary1

# Demonstrate aliasing and grabing of both a entire directory and individual
file
AliasModule -a CVSTestProject2/prj2dir1level1/prj2dir2level2
CVSTestProject2/prj2dir2level1/prj2dir2level1File1.txt

aahprjsrc AliasModule

hybridproj -d AAHNew Libraries aahprjsrc

I was able ot get cvs to check it out on XP at the comand prompt (please see
other posting in this thread).  So the Virtual Modules as they
are called are listed and I was able to check out the Libraries module with
cvs co Libraries and that worked as expected.

I have now been able to check out a module using the List checkbox. I just
need to work on the syntax of the modules file.

I will continue to work on the systntax of the file until I can get it
right.  If you see anything that I wan't that simply can't be done I would
appreciate knowing what that is.

Can aliases be used for paths deep in the tree?  For instance say there is
the CVSTestProject2/prj2dir1level1 directory in the CVSTestProject2.

Can I use:

anAlias -a CVSTestProject2/prj2dir1level1

?

Thank you for your time

Brian

P.S. I was working on this posting yesterday and was not able ot post it
until today which is why my previous posting may be out of order with this
one.