[cvsnt] Re: Status?: rename support

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Fri Feb 11 08:27:22 GMT 2005

Bernhard Merkle wrote:

> > What I'm really wanting is file-moving and directory-renaming
> > without losing history. My software tree is in dire need of
> > re-organization.
>
> simply make the move on the server side.
> move the ,v files or dirs you want and you are done :-)

...but when doing that keep in mind that you will no longer be able to
check out the old structure, i.e. if there were references inside the
source files that relied on the old structure those would obviously
break. A possible solution to this (and one I've used myself) is to
create virtual module definitions that will recreate the old structure
on checkout. This will only work on directories, not files though (i.e.
you couldn't checkout a file under a different name/in a different
folder than what/where it is in the repository).

Hope this helps.

--
Oliver
JID:  ogiesen at jabber.org