[cvsnt] Re: Automatic Authentication with windows credentials

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Feb 16 06:18:55 GMT 2005

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:22:52 +1100, "Brad Costa"
<bradcosta at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>Hi all;
>I am a newbie setting up a CVSNT system, with WINCVS, for a small number of
>developers, using SSPI, in a full windows network (2003
>server/domain-controller, xp workstations/clients)
>
>At the moment I am controlling access to the repository using windows domain
>username and password authentication (i.e. my cvs client will grab the
>domain username of the windows user currently logged in at the workstation
>and will embed that in the CVSROOT connection string).

Are you saying that you will be using a CVSNT server but *another*
client then??? Why???
If you use the CVSNT client also (or use WinCvs) then there is no such
strange things going on.

>For instance, on the windows clients I have set my CVSROOT environment
>variable to this:
>	:sspi:cvserver:/project (project is the main repository I am using)
>

>And when a workstation user (say joe) types in the "cvs login" command his
>connection to the CVS server is established with the following settings:
>	:sspi:joe at cvserver:/project

You don't ever do a cvs login if you use :sspi:cvsserver:/repo!!!
The variation :sspi:user at server:/repo is *only* used if you cannot use
the currently logged in username for the transaction. This happens if
the server and workstation are not on the same domain, for example the
server is on a domain but the workstation is not (is a workgroup) and
the workstation login (Joe) does not exist as a user on the domain.
In such cases you establish the cvs connection using
  :sspi:user at server:/repo
and you do a cvs login *once only* where you specify the password for
that user *on the server*. Once that is done the password is cached
locally and will be reused every time the same connection string is
used, like for every future operation inside a sandbox that was
created during the use of the connection string.

>This is great BUT THEN I still get prompted for my domain password on each
>CVS login attempt.

Don't do this! Yo *NEVER* have to do a cvs login with sspi
authentication!

> What I would really like is to surpress this password
>prompt some way (so a user doesn't get asked to put their domain password in
>each time they want to login to a CVS repository). Ideally I would like the
>CVS client to supply this domain password 'automatically' like the CVS
>client supplies the domain username 'automatically' during the login process
>(without having to explicitly state it).

This is exactly how it works with the cvsnt cvs client. It is
completely transparent.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)