[cvsnt] Commit fails with "Unable to rename file..." help needed

Dan Pupek dpupek at astpcola.com
Fri Feb 18 15:02:50 GMT 2005

The last time I had this problem it turned out to be an issue with
filesystem permissions on the server. I forget if it was on the TEMP
directory or the repository. If you have a Windows server you'll have to
either check every folder's permissions to make sure that the security
descriptors are intact or you can force permissions to propagate down from
the repository's root folder. Also, you should check your CVSNT temp
directories security descriptors.

A note on NT permissions: I have noticed some MACHINES(Super Micros in
particular) that tend to corrupt the NTFS filesystem very often. I think
it's a glitch in the SuperMicro IDE controllers (I could be wrong) because I
don't see this on our Dell or IBM boxes (configured exactly the same) but
all 4 SuperMicros will drop Security Descriptors and exhibit other
corruption quite frequently. If you notice this happening then I would move
the CVS repository as quickly as possible.

Dan Pupek
Software Engineer
Advanced Systems Technology, Inc
dpupek at astpcola.com <mailto:dpupek at astpcola.com>