[cvsnt] Re: cvs update overwrites changes

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Feb 18 22:42:06 GMT 2005

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:36:48 -0800, David Vo <vo.david at gmail.com>
wrote:

>Thanks for your reply.
>
>They are having problems with VB text files. I understand the binary
>limitation. The messages just show a <M filename> message. When the
>developers open the updated file, they have the newest revision
>checked out but all of their local changes will be lost. Are there any
>reasons why this is happening?
>
>Thanks, D

If they see a message with M <filename> that simply means that the
file in their sandbox has been detected as locally modified. It means
that they do have edits in the file that have not been committed yet.

During the update, if the base revision they are working on is no
longer the server HEAD revision, the changes on the server between the
base revision and the HEAD revision will be mereged into the local
file leading to a message similar to this:
retrieving revision 1.14
retrieving revision 1.15
Merging differences between 1.14 and 1.15 into <filename>
M <filename>
P <filename>

So in this case you will see all of these messages and two lines (M
and P) for the file. It all means that the server data have been
applied to your local file *while retaining* the local edits as well.
This renders the file still modified (the M signal) so it can be
committed to the server.

I don't think that I ever heard of local edits being lost like you
describe on a text file. Please repeat the operation and cut the full
message interchange from cvs and post it here for analysis.

Also: Please make 100% sure that the developers have closed their
development system editors or IDE:s so they are not referring to edits
that they have in memory on their development systems instead of on
file. This has happened before: File is edited in the IDE but not
saved, then the cvs update is done and the IDE discovers that the file
has changed on disk and loads it on top of the memory file, thus
losing the edits!

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)